Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Megan Flood- part 3

"For an idea to exist, we must have words to express it."

In my previous responce I said that an idea must be expressed in order for it to exist. My opinion on this subject has changed slightly. Now I think that an idea can exist without being expressed, however in order to express an idea you need words or some form of words. An idea cannot be spread to other people except through words. A picture, or any type of art, has words attached to it, so it can convey ideas. In the book "1984", Winston discusses the idea of "goodthinkful" to Julia. She doesn't understand the meaning of the idea until he explains it with words. The idea of being "goothinkful" existed before the word did however it could not be expressed until the words, or words like it, came into existance. Therefore ideas can exist without being expressed, however words are needed to express them.

5 comments:

Zoe Erb said...

Megan, your final statement completely sums up my opinion.

1984 didn't change what I thought, but here was my take. Ideas can exist without words, but will do no good unless they can be communicated to others.

Deep Thoughts - 1984 said...

I agree with both of you. It is possible for an idea to exist without any form or conveying it to others. However, that being said, in order for this idea to take root and start a movement in a large number of people, some form of communicating is necessary

-Zoe Storck

Deep Thoughts - 1984 said...

I agree with Megan partly. I wholeheartedly agree that an idea can exist without being expressed, because some ideas are so abstract and cannot be proved that it is impossible to express them in words because an idea can be an abstract arrangement of things while words are a linear form of expression. Before reading the book, I wasn't completely sure if we need words to express an idea, and I am still unsure. I agree with Megan that an idea can also be expressed through art, but I'm not sure if there are necessarily words attached through art. I think that, maybe, If someone has an idea originally in their own mind, it doesn't need to be put into words for them to express it, but for someone else to understand it when it is expressed, they need to be able to compile it into words in their own mind.

Deep Thoughts - 1984 said...

I think that an idea can be expressed without words, but cannot be shared without words. However, this doesn't mean that an idea without words is useless. Personally i believe art is ideas being expressed without words. Not all art pieces need side notes to explain. Also, a lot of religious and spiritual ideas are expressed without words. Isn't love often expressed without words? Or many other emotions?

-Georgia

Deep Thoughts - 1984 said...

I agree with you in both ways. There are somethings that the only way you can express your ideas are by expressing it without words, but majority of the times, the only way you can get ideas around is by saying it. If you don't say anything, then how can your idea get around? However, you can show your thoughts through many forms such as art, music, dance, acting, and much more. Therefore, yes, probably the best way for an idea to get around is by saying or telling it, but there is also still many other ways.

-Lily Nguyen